Sunday, August 14, 2011

Container Day Part 1


Rhys helping pack the container!



Now that I have sped through our first few weeks in Taiwan in one post, I thought I would back up a little and post about a couple of specific events. The first event I thought might be interesting is the day we packed our container.

Having never moved overseas before, I
had no frame of reference with which to imagine what this was going to look like. All I knew was that all of our earthly belongings would be packed in a 20 foot long by 8 feet wide by 8 feet tall shipping container. I was assured that it would all fit, but I was skeptical. Twenty feet did not seem like very much to me. Which, in retrospect was good because it motivated me to try and get rid of as much as possible. Of course, after three garage sales and several trips to the good will, I felt so confident, I went shopping!:)

After many weeks of questioning...would it fit? If not what should we leave behind??? Did we remember everything we might n
eed????? The day finally arrived. The plan was that the container would leave port from Long Beach and in 3-6 weeks would arrive at our doorstep in Taichung, Taiwan. With the help of the sweet and extremely generous people from Fellowship Crating the container was slowly but surely filled with our belongings. In reality, Garett just stood there while these two men worked their magic. You could tell immediately that they had done this many times before and they knew exactly how to pack the container so that everything fit and was secure. It took them seven hours to pack everything inside, but in the end it all fit.....except for one arm chair. Here are a few pictures of the progress!



Early in the packing process. I'm not sure you can tell, but that's our couch perched up on top of those boxes.




Our boxes waiting to be packed into the container.



Midway through the packing process. Mattresses in...check!


Almost finished!



SUCCESS!



All Ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment